Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tsunami en route (10:14am)


This is my first official tsunami warning since living here, and apparently the first one for the island in a long time. This is quite an experience, especially coming from the mainland. At this point I'm trusting that the posted evacuation zones are accurate and intelligently placed. We are technically 2 blocks passed the evac area for Waikiki. Click the following link to see our inundation zone guidelines (we are one block west of the Jefferson Elementary School):

Civil Defense Tsunami Evacuation Zone

I'm still sick so I was trying to sleep in until closer to the first estimated impact, but with the state sirens going off every hour and the hotel announcements invading our apartment, there was not much sleep to be had for me. In between dozing I have been texting my local homies to check in and check up. Turns out my work was really slammed so I went in to help lighten the load, so they could close sooner. Glad I did, because it was quite a scene down there.

This warning comes as a result of the large earthquake that hit Chile yesterday. Basically, the first wave is estimated to hit O'ahu around 11:18am HST (Hilo will be hit first, at 11:05am). It's currently 10:14am HST. Thank goodness it is day time and not a business day. I feel for the tourists that are trippin' right now because I know if I was on vacation and all I knew about tsunamis was movies and the tragedy in Indonesia, I would wanna leave now!

I am also comforted by the fact that I live in a concrete building, on the 21st floor. I only wish our lanai faced the ocean head on so I could see what may be.

...more later...

No comments:

Post a Comment