Sunday, August 2, 2009

The deal w/ my new job

So I got hired on the spot on my birthday on Friday. Great, exciting and needed. I specified part-time, no Sundays (with the exception of occasional evenings), and preferably off by 5:00pm. Very specific I know, but I prefer to put my ideals on the table and if they don't like it or want to improvise we can possibly negotiate. This method is more efficient than selling your soul upfront and getting scheduled every time slot you don't want to work. Anyways, the manger basically says that shouldn't be a problem. 

SO WHY did I just get a call letting me know I'll be working 40-hours from now until SUNDAY (on which day I'm scheduled all morning into the afternoon)??! I think the manager may not have worked with the asst mngr creating my schedule but there's a dropped ball in itself. 

To be honest, I like the manager and the asst mngr; they have amazing work ethic and a drive with enough skills to move them forward. I like that. I do admire that. BUT I have little tolerance for what it seems I'm getting into. This may not be the permanent work conditions but first impressions are everything - isn't that right Mr. & Mrs. Corporate Offices?

There's more...

Let's continue into the corporate aspects of this all. They would like to tell me what color socks and hair to have, how many piercings there shouldn't be in my ears, and that I should "suggest" (i.e. pressure) people into getting a large when they order a small. Everyone pretty much knows that I don't own many normal socks and you'll rarely find that they match! What do my socks have to do with the coffee? I come from Seattle, where the measure of a true barista is not what they're wearing but how their drinks taste and look. My coffee culture background may be rebellious, it may even be snobbery, but I'll serve you a picturesque mocha in a potato sack with bone through my nose, and you'll come back because it's the best mocha you ever drank. 

It may seem silly to some, but when you believe that coffee is about coffee, your bottom line will always be just that. In no way do I wanna knock someone who can work a job and do as they're paid to do, because that's what a good employee does. If I didn't feel so strongly I could do it there too, but this may end up being too much to compromise for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment