Saturday, January 30, 2010

Feeling reflective


Just watched my DVR recording of Oprah's interview with Jay Leno, regarding the whole Conan O'Brien/Tonight Show thing. I have always been a bigger fan of Conan, and was really looking down at Jay Leno for what this whole thing appeared to be. After hearing his side on Oprah, I'd still choose Conan, but have a new appreciation for Leno's side too. I don't agree with all his choices, but the big picture moment for me is that NBC owns The Tonight Show, not Leno. He's a business man, and show business is not about feelings. Corporate strikes again; they call the shots, the people below them take the hits. Sucks for both of them, but I'll be watching Conan wherever he ends up - hopefully Fox.

Tonight we had a catamaran ride on the Ali'i Kai as a youth group activity with our church kids. Sadly, my honey couldn't go because of work. We tried to get him with us, but at the last minute they called him in for sure. The good thing about it was that I had to be outside of my comfort zone since he wasn't there by my side. I would rarely volunteer such a position, but I worked with it as best as I knew how. I'm just thankful I didn't get sea-sick. I have an average tolerance for the motion of the ocean, but you never know. The food was good though, and towards the end, there was much dancing. It was organized as part of the program for all the guests, so less pressure for everyone to just go with it and shake their booties. Really fun, and really cool to see most of the kids get down too. Plus, our team (Bus #2) won the chant/team spirit contest...because we're awesome.

What I love about working with youth is that moment where you realize that your presence does matter to them. Not that you should do it to feel good about yourself, but for me, I know often doubt that I'm making a difference or an impact. Those sparks of realization that they do know you care and they do value the time spent fuels me for the next times we meet. It doesn't have to be a deep connection, because seeds are small, but they can grow once they're planted.


No comments:

Post a Comment